Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Declaring concession!


Not victory, not defeat just conceding that it is done!  


I have learned many things with this quilt...and for the first time where I think it will need it...I am also giving it a replacement guarantee....when it wears out (and it will) I will make a second one for just the cost of parts.  


This the back, I ran out of the purple and had bought all that Jo Anns had....oops, plus I had more squares then I thought and wanted to make it bigger.  So I used more of the (originally) off white flannel, and this is how it ended up being pieced.

What I learned about using Crown flannel bags for a quilt, and what will go into any future one that I do....

1) prewash, probably more then once with many color catchers and nothing else.

2) use a fusible interfacing at least, may be even a fusible web and felt to stabilize the flannel.

This part was actually more of an issue then the color bleeding. It seemed that every time I finished one step I had to go back and redo something that had pulled loose on the step before.  I realize that I may not have perfect seam allowances but I gave them plenty of extra space to avoid this!

As I said I learned as I went...this is what happens when you jump in head first without a pattern or instructions and just do!  

Anyone ever done something like this?  Thoughts? ideas? Comments?!

No comments:

Post a Comment